Teaching Screenagers

Teaching Screenagers
My life in the fastlane

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Raised by my Techie Students





So this is the final project of our school year, the famous Sixth Grade Memoir. This week I am sharing the work we have done with the poem Raised By written by Kelly Norman Ellis, and the lesson itself inspired by Linda Christian and her work in Teaching for Joy and Justice.
 First we listened to the poem by   Kelly Norman Ellis

http://coalblackvoices.com/poets/kelly/video.html


We then wrote our own poems discussing first, "What Raised Us?"
After students spent some time creating their poems and working with partners, we used the app SonicPicslite, and students read their poems and selected images to highlight their work.






I am really proud of their work. We will be having an Author's Tea on June 15th, and now that I have figured out how to download these to our site, I will be posting even more samples. Yay Me and Video Monkey for helping me get our work public.

I think being Raised By my techie students has truly changed me as a teacher. Look what I just did "all by my big girl self" as my kids would put it. Being techie doesn't mean you have to know everything, it just means you have to be fearless, determined and be willing to take risks. What a great thing to model for all our kids. I can't wait to see what we do next!!















No comments:

Post a Comment